Anaphylaxis is a severe allergic reaction that can be caused by foods, insect stings, medications, latex, or other substances. Children with food allergies can develop anaphylaxis after ingesting even a small amount of their allergen. Any food allergy can be life-threatening and allergic reactions can occur through cross-contamination.
There are a number of students with severe peanut and tree-nut allergies, as well as students who are allergic to other foods. Therefore, we kindly ask all parent and student cooperation with the following in order to ensure the safety of all students:
Lunch and snacks must be nut-free (no peanuts, no tree nuts)
Please double check ingredient labels on pre-packaged food, as well as ingredients of foods prepared at home. They should not include anything that ‘may contain traces of nuts’. Certified nut free pre-packaged snacks are available at most grocery stores.
Please remind your child that there is no food sharing between students
Please abstain from sending in food or candy treats for birthdays/special occasions/holidays; non food treats are always welcome (pencils, stickers, erasers etc..)
Please remind your child of the importance of handwashing before and after eating
If a student inadvertently brings food containing an allergen into their classroom, they may be asked to eat in a separate area and to wash thoroughly after eating. Their eating area may be wiped down with disinfectant.
Any allergies present in the class will be communicated to the parents of the class at the beginning of the year, so that parents can avoid sending in allergen foods into their child’s classroom.
If you have a child with allergies, feel free to contact the school for more information. You will also receive information outlining what documents/medications are required by the school prior to the start of the school year, as well as recommended precautions for your child at school.
Please do not hesitate to contact the school with any concerns or questions. We appreciate your support to make our school safer for all students.